Georgia Qualified Education Expense Tax Credit Program (QEE)
In 2008, the Georgia General Assembly passed legislation creating the Georgia Qualified Education Expense (QEE) Tax Credit Program. Under this program, individuals and corporations can make tax-credit donations to authorized non-profit Student Scholarship Organizations (SSO) which fund scholarships at private schools in Georgia, including schools recommended by the donor. Georgia’s current tax credit cap is $58,000,000.
Dollar-for-Dollar Tax Credit on Your Georgia Income Tax
The Georgia QEE Tax Credit Program allows individuals, married couples, and businesses to claim dollar-for-dollar tax credits on their Georgia income tax for student scholarship donations made through a qualified SSO. The amount of tax credits that can be taken is limited to the donor’s tax liability or actual donation amount, whichever is less.
Student Scholarship Donation Amounts
Single Individuals—up to $1000
Married Filing Jointly—up to $2,500
Married filing Separately—up to $1,250
Owner or member of an LLC, Sub S-Corp, Partnership or other pass-through entity—up to $10,000 or your actual Georgia Tax Liability (whichever is less)
C-Corp or Trust—up to 75% of the estimated Georgia Tax Liability
Donate to SSCS through GASSO
SSCS has partnered with the Georgia Student Scholarship Organization (GASSO), an authorized SSO, to receive and process donations on our behalf. GASSO will begin taking 2018 donation requests in August.
How To Donate:
- Complete GASSO’s online Request for Donation prior to December 31 for the upcoming year. 2018 donation requests can be made beginning August 2017.
- Approval—on January 1, GASSO will submit donation requests to the Georgia Department of Revenue for approval.
- Notification—GASSO and the Georgia Department of Revenue will notify you via email and mail once your donation has been approved
- Donation—once you receive approval, make your donation online at www.georgiasso.us or mail it to GASSO at the address indicated in the letter.
- Receipt– GASSO will send the receipt and paperwork to you, the donor, to use when you file your state taxes.
- School Funding– donated funds are distributed to SSCS once they are received by GASSO.
Contact Mark Kok, 912-634-8177 or firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions or assistance with the GASSO application process.